Executive Events Manager
The award-winning Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC) is currently in search of an Executive Events Manager to join our team. This critical role will report directly to the Assistant Director, Event Sales. As part of the Sales team, the Executive Events Manager will negotiate/execute contracts; coordinate all venue related event requirements on behalf of the client; and work with our event delivery teams to deliver exceptional results through to event completion. This position is responsible for building relationships with existing and new clients, industry partners, and suppliers for each event they manage.
BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) is a provincial Crown Corporation with a significant mandate to generate economic and community benefit for the people of British Columbia through its world class facilities - BC Place Stadium and the Vancouver Convention Centre. Our internationally-recognized facilities host a diverse range of events, from global summit meetings, professional and amateur sports to trade and consumer shows, and cultural, film and entertainment events, generating in excess of $400 million annually of economic benefit.
PavCo is recognized as a global leader in venue development, marketing and management. The Province’s flagship stadium, BC Place is proudly referred to as “Canada’s Home Stadium” for international sporting events. The iconic Vancouver Convention Centre is the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention facility and has twice been named “World’s Best Convention Centre”.
Across all business units, PavCo’s team of approximately 800 staff collaborate with a diverse range of local and international partners, official suppliers with over 1,400 staff, and clientele to host an exciting year-round schedule of events. Together, we consistently deliver an outstanding level of commitment, skill and professionalism as we host exceptional experiences for a global audience.
WHY WORK WITH US:
Located on Vancouver’s downtown waterfront with a dramatic mountain backdrop, the Vancouver Convention Centre offers one of the most beautiful settings in the world to build your career.
Our award-winning facility hosts more than 550 events a year, from global conventions and trade and consumer shows to meetings, banquets and special events, welcoming hundreds of thousands of attendees from around the world. Apart from generating vital economic activity for BC, these events provide an important platform for the exchange of knowledge and information across industry sectors. The Convention Centre is an enviable position, consistently attracting globally sought-after events that bring industry leaders from around the world working in medicine, education, arts, intellectual science and many other influential fields.
Apart from the distinction of ‘Best Convention Centre and Best Convention Centre Service in North America’ by Watkins Research Group, we are proud to be the world’s first double LEED® Platinum certified convention centre. Our commitment to global leadership in environmental sustainability does not stop at our building; we follow sustainable practices daily from our ‘scratch’ kitchen that provides healthy food offerings to our staff and guests using fresh, local and seasonal ingredients, to our extensive facility-wide recycling program.
At the Convention Centre, you will join an extraordinary team recognized for a commitment to delivering unparalleled, seamless service to our guests and leadership in all aspects of our business. Our leaders are passionate about the growth of others, investing the time to coach, teach and advise every day. Leaders look for talent and find opportunities for that talent to flourish and shine.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- You will be in a role that combines both sales and event execution skills and will be responsible for leading clients through the sales cycle into planning to post-event in a professional and seamless fashion and in accordance with the Facilities’ best practices.
- Creating license agreements, proposals, and addendums which requires attention to detail and involves research and collection of accurate and current information including rate sheets, floor plans, seating arrangements, room layouts, food and beverage etc.
- You will negotiate contract components including space and date requirements, rental rates, and services such as catering, audio-visual, and telecommunications.
- You will be held accountable to meeting a team revenue goals on behalf of the organization.
- You will balance client needs and the feasibility of event logistics and space availability
- During event hours, you will provide on-site client liaison, problem solving, and support for clients and the team.
- You will ensure ongoing communication with staff and suppliers regarding the details and changes of events, often in the role of Event Planner to support clients.
- You will coordinate and oversee event move-ins, set-ups, and move-outs in a multi-client facility with other Event Managers and other tenants in the building.
- You will manage booking events through the Booking Calendar efficiently, ensuring no bookings negatively impact the facility or other event operations
- You will manage multiple simultaneous events and proactively resolve operational issues and conflicts in collaboration with other team members
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- You have a combination of post-secondary education in Tourism, Hospitality, or Event Management and at least three years of relevant event management work experience.
- You can anticipate risks/implications inherent in a suggested solution and develop contingency plans to mitigate impacts.
- You will hold yourself and team accountable to service excellence through establishing high standards, measuring performance and implementing initiatives of continuous improvement.
- You exhibit confidence, sophistication and persuasiveness in all forms of communication; you’re able to articulate a vision by delivering a clear and intentional message and checking for understanding. Empathy, self-awareness, and presence are essential.
- You are passionate about the success of your clients and are willing and available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as well as be on call 24-hours during events.
- You are agile and adaptive; seamlessly switching between sales, event planning, and execution while maintaining composure.
- You resonate with Vancouver Convention Centre’s business principles and values and are intrinsically motivated to meet the collective financial goals through your relentless focus and contribution to the sales team.
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative team dedicated to achieving outstanding results.
The team at PavCo thanks you for your application.