Sustainable Meetings and Events
The Vancouver Convention Centre has a strong commitment to economic, environmental and social responsibility. With our best practices and unique building features, we can help you plan a sustainable meeting or event with our Sustainable Event Guidelines.
If you don’t have the Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you can download it for free from Adobe.
It's easy to think green at the Vancouver Convention Centre. With more than 350 events per year, we maintain an extensive environmental program and work closely with clients to ensure sustainability in all events.
"The Vancouver Convention Centre played a vital role by providing an environmentally-responsible venue for the World Urban Forum 3, which earned Four Star MeetGreen Certification for excellence in green meeting practices."
- Meeting Strategies Worldwide
Recycling: We recycle an average of 180,000 kilograms of materials annually – nearly half of the total volume of waste generated.
Food & Beverage: Our 'scratch' kitchen uses fresh local ingredients without additives, avoids disposable utensils and dishes, and donates leftover food to local charities.
- Our six-acre "living roof" houses thousands of indigenous plants and recovers rainwater for irrigation.
- Seawater heating and cooling and on-site water treatment.
- Fish habitat built into the building foundations.
- Designated a Powersmart Convention Centre by BC Hydro.
- Awarded "GO GREEN" certificate from the Building Owners and Managers.
- The West building has received LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certification. We are the first convention centre in the world to earn the highest LEED® rating.