FUNCTIONAL, BEAUTIFUL AND ‘GREEN’
Our facility sits on the doorstep of nature, and we are very mindful of our impact on the environment.
From the design of our LEED® Platinum-certified facility, the use of the latest green technologies to the adoption of green operating practices, the Vancouver Convention Centre is committed to being as environmentally sustainable as possible.
We’re proud to be the world’s first LEED® Platinum certified convention centre. Here are a few reasons why we are truly green by design.
- The West building’s six-acre living roof – the largest in Canada and the largest non-industrial living roof in North America – features more than 400,000 indigenous plant and grasses. Our unique roof is designed to act as an insulator, reducing heat gains in the summer and heat losses in the winter.
- The roof is also home to four beehives with European honey bees. The bees help pollinate the plants on the living roof while supplying honey for our ‘scratch’ kitchen.
- A restored marine habitat is built into the foundation of the West building. Water quality in the area has improved dramatically, with the growth of a large variety of sea life.
- Our sophisticated black water treatment plant recycles grey and black water that goes back into our washrooms for toilet flushing and is used rooftop irrigation during warmer weather.
- Our seawater heating and cooling system takes advantage of the adjacent seawater to produce cooling for the building during warmer months and heating in cooler months.
- Natural light and ventilation are maximized throughout the facility.
- Local BC wood products from sustainably-managed forests are used throughout the facility.
Our commitment to environment doesn’t stop at our building features and technology. Ensuring sustainable practices daily is something we also take pride in.
- We run an extensive facility-wide recycling program that includes organics.
- We operate a ‘scratch’ kitchen using primarily fresh, local and seasonal ingredients. Promoting and using locally-grown products means less energy consumption for transporting products to our door.
- We encourage our purveyors to deliver their goods in reusable containers and work with suppliers with a strong commitment to the environment.
- Green SealTM and EcoLogoTM approved cleaning products are used facility-wide, including in the kitchen and food service areas.
“TED2014 will be held at the world’s most eco-friendly meeting venue — a convention center positioned directly on Burrard Inlet, which took our breath away upon first seeing it.” – TED Blog
Environmental Awards and Accolades:
- APEX (Convention Industry Council’s Accepted Practices Exchange) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) certification – Venue and Food and Beverage Standards, level one (2014)
- International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC) Quality Standards Certification, Gold Level (2011)
- Top Ten Green Projects awarded by the American Institute of Architects' Committee on the Environment (COTE) (2011)
- IMEX Green Supplier Award, Silver (2011)
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Platinum (2010) for West building
- Sustainable Architecture & Building (SAB) magazine’s Canadian Green Building Awards (2010)
- Recycling Council of BC Environmental Award in the Public Sector Category (2010)
Planning an event?
We are here to help you every step of the way.